Sunday, April 19, 2009

Random Pictures from a Salmon Farm

Ling cod caught on a salmon farm
I have just joined flickr, so I have uploaded pictures there to check out.
Photo Gallery
Now I'm going to show you some of the fish we catch during our off time. We get to fish in pristine ocean waters, watch whales and dolphins go by, not too mention catch all types of fish.
Last year I was fishing off of the system a little and caught what I thought was a small rock cod, well all of a sudden my fishing rod bent straight down. It continued down until it reached bottom again. Now that little cod couldn't have done that, so I figured I had a masher ling cod. Brought it to the surface and saw a giant fish with a little rock cod in its mouth. Back down it went. I waited a little needing a break from the last surfacing. I started bringing it back up slowly, it pulled but up it was coming, this was by far the biggest ling cod I have seen caught, but they get way bigger apparently. Still like I said this was the biggest I had seen. Up it came and I land it. Wow, what a monster. waited for it to settle down, then weighed it. It was 28 pounds. The biggest one I had caught in the ten previous years was 19 pounds. I had to let this monster live. Hoping it breeds many more years to come. That is something that bothers me by the way, in B.C you have to catch a 65cm ling cod or bigger in order to keep it. That works out to be about 10 pounds or so. But the ling cod take a while to mature, I figure they mature at about the time they get to keeper size. Why take the brood stock who've proven to be survivors and are of age to reproduce. Why not have a max size rather than a minimum size? I don't know, maybe I am missing something. Anyways I always let the big fish go. Rather keep an average size fish. Stay tuned and I will be showing off a nice red snapper caught that same year.

No comments:

Post a Comment